Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bienvenidos! (Welcome!)

Welcome to my blog. As the name suggest, this blog is about growing up Mexican. I want this blog to be a place to share stories of my childhood as a Mexican being raised in the United States. Hopefully some of my experiences will bring you smiles and/or laughter. Knowing Spanish will not be necessary for you to read my blog, but it will be very helpful.

Before I continue you need to know something about me: I do not consider myself a "typical" Mexican...check that, I do not consider myself a "stereotypical " Mexican. What do I mean by this? This means that I do not wear a sombrero, poncho and boots wherever I go. I do not sound like Speedy Gonzalez when I talk. I do not listen to mariachi music all the time. I do not work in construction, as a bus boy or as a gardener. (Although there is NOTHING wrong with any of those jobs! It's honest work.) Now I do own a poncho and I do listen to mariachi music from time to time but I also like to wear dress shirts and slacks and listen to everything from Mozart to AC/DC, and just about anything else in between. I work as an IT guy and I love technology and gadgets. Now, I am a "typical" Mexican in that I am very proud of my heritage, I like to eat chile and family is very important to me.

So there it is, my first blog post. I decided to be kind and not bore you with every minutiae of my life. I figure I'll slowly add more details about myself as time passes. For now I will leave you with the following words of wisdom from my family: Echale ganas! (This basically means, "Give it your all.")

1 comment: